Black Lives Matter
Ada stands in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement.
We have a lot of listening, learning and growing to do to ensure we stand up and show up for all of our students and staff, all of the time. Fighting systematic racism, not only in the tech sector and education but in all aspects of society, requires ongoing action and reflection in every classroom, lecture hall, and board room. We are taking this time to ask ourselves uncomfortable questions and to figure out how we can best support BLM and fight racism.
While listening, reflecting and planning we intend to amplify Black voices right now; Ada's staff have compiled a list of useful resources, which will be continuously updated:
Tackling Racism in education
Talking to your children about race
How To Be A Good Ally
Racism in Tech
Free digital security training for Black Lives Matter activists with Glitch UK
If you can, try to buy these from independent booksellers:
- "Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race" - Renni Eddo-Lodge
- "So you want to talk about race" - Ijeoma Oluo
- "The Good Immigrant" - Nikesh Shukla
- "How to argue with a racist" - Adam Rutherford
- "Hold Tight: Black Masculinity, Millennials and the Meaning of Grime" - Jeffrey Boakye
TedTalk: The Danger of The Single Story - Chimamanda Ngoze Adichie
13th - Ava DuVernay
When They See Us - Ava DuVernay
Time: The Kalief Browder Story - Jenner Furst
Fruitvale Station - Ryan Coogler
Get on the Bus - Spike Lee
Seven Seconds - Yuri Bykov
Malcolm X Documentary - Arnold Perl
The Long Song - Mahalia Belo
Barry - Vikram Ghandi
Dark Girls - Bill Duke
Moonlight - Barry Jenkins
The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind - Chiwetel Ejiofor
Remastered: The Two Killings of Sam Cooke - Kelly Duane de la Vega
Beasts of No Nation - Cary Joji Fukunaga
The Black Lives Matter website has a comprehensive list of ongoing petitions you can sign.
* Please be cautious of donating money through petition sites; often donations go to fund the sites themselves. Instead focus any donations to the below.
The Black Lives Matter website lists many places you can donate.
Donate (for free) via YouTube revenue by watching this video.
Mental Health Resources
- All students at Ada have access to Kooth: a free, anonymous, online support system. Use your Ada email to register here.
This is by no means an exhaustive list and we will continue to review and add relevant and useful resources.